This time, I annotated like before, I rip off a binder paper into twenty little small pieces of paper. And I put each little piece of paper to any page that I found out it's a interesting fact, important evidence to suppose the author's debate topic, etc. Although I do put these pieces of paper like post-its, I haven't mark down any notes because now I think reread these information that the author wrote about is very important and he always state out his point and I like to read this book.
The first chapter the book is call, "What do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common?" For me, I would never think about it and have a debate about this. I like this author's way of writing because he has nice idea and after the topic, he starts to tell things that's around the topic to let you know more background of this topic. After that, he'll start to tell more and more information, and when it's about time to wrap up this chapter, he'll tell his answer of the debate topic by telling a bit at a time. He doesn't tell you what he thinks by exactly writing, "This is what I think, blah blah..." He lets you to think about it and give outs evidence about the question of the topic. Furthermore about chapter one, I like this quote, "Who cheats? Well, just about anyone, if the stakes are right. You might say to yourself, I don't cheat, regardless of the stakes. And then you might remember the time you cheated on, say, a board game." After I read this part, in my mind, I had that experience and I nodded and agree with him. And than the author tells teacher might cheats to make school has a higher grade because tests of students are doing good, making students pass, etc. Which brings out people who do sports would do cheating by taking pills or other powders to make their body to be more perfect. Using "cheating" and saying both of them cheat as their common thing is what I can never think out.
Another chapter that I like is, "Why do drug dealers still live with their moms?" Reason of me liking this part is because it gives out a lots of details and information. Best quote that I can find in the whole book is also in this chapter, it says, "The first trick of asking questions is to determine if your question is a good one. Just because a question has never been asked does not make it good. Smart people have been asking questions for quite a few centuries now, so many of the questions that haven't been asked are bound to yield uninteresting answer." This paragraph really made me think deeply about this. I would say it's a nice start, of having a reader to think for a bit, when he reads more, he have a thought about what will the book trying to tell. After a few pages, another quote says, "The answer lies in finding the right data, and the secret to finding the right data usually means finding the right person..." These two quotes bring to a story of a student that's trying to do a survey about "How do you feel about being black and poor?" Which this student has to ask some gansters that's black. If he's asking a question in a wrong way that makes people feels bad, it's a bad question. If you're asking a people that doesn't help on the survey, you're finding the wrong person. After these, author tells many info that's about drug dealer's salary, gangster's war, percentage of dying, etc. Which having a war between gangs, can cause people getting arrested, harmed. However, foot soldiers, which are the ones who are fighting for a gang, their salary is $3.30 per hours. Having chance of getting killed is 1 in 4, easy to get arrested, injured, that's why these drug dealers need to live with their moms since they need family member to give them money.
No comments:
Post a Comment