Mar 10, 2010

Lit circle letter

The book "First they killed my father" is wrote by Loung Ung. It's a great memoir and problems she faces is interesting.

The way I annotate is by reading it, having post-its with me so I can put post-its or marks at pages that I think it's a important fact.

Parts that I like :
At first to second chapter, it's a good start for me because it attracted me as the author telling how the family is like and telling things that happened. I think it's a good start to get people to read more. I like how her dad's funny and thinking Loung is smart which makes her mom disagree.

I smiled when I saw this quote, "Pa just bought him a car and it seems he uses it to drive his books around instead of girls." (Talking about her oldest brother Meng)

Parts that I dislike:
I don't like how when they were in the war and every action that they do is being alerted, need to be careful on everything. I can picture how the world is like by that time.

Monthly question that I think I'm going to write:
1)What was the author's purpose(s) in writing this book, and how can you tell? How well was this purpose achieved?

Since this book is a memoir, I think this question is a good topic write. I'm also in interest to figure out the reason that she wants to write and letting people to read this book. I'm willing to find her purpose and mark down the way that I can tell from quotes from the book.

2)Find out about the author. How did they end up writing this particular book? Is the author's true life reflected in the book in any way(s)?

I like reading memoir and I think writing a memoir is not easy at all. Furthermore, this book's topic immediately attract me since it's telling things happen that happened to her and her family. I am also in interest about the author, I'm sure that this book can reflect her in many ways. She might remember these things after years from the book, and she might change her thought of these memories and learn from it.

I am confuse on:
Loung was asking question about bombs that's put to try to kill pa, but why was her father not answering and became quiet, which is not usually as he used to be?

When there started to have soldiers, why do these soldiers need to kill people that are registered for work?

No comments:

Post a Comment